Assamese (মডেল:Lang-Assamese2 মডেল:Translit-Assamese2) (IPA: [ɔxɔmija]) is an Indo-Aryan language spoken in the state of Assam in northeast India. It is also the official language of Assam. It is also spoken in parts of Arunachal Pradesh and other northeast Indian states. Small pockets of Assamese speakers can be found in Bhutan and Bangladesh. The easternmost of Indo-European languages, it is spoken by over 13 million people.
The English word "Assamese" is built on the same principle as "Japanese", "Taiwanese", etc. It is based on the English word "Assam" by which the tract consisting of the Brahmaputra valley is known. The people call their state মডেল:Translit-Assamese2 and their language মডেল:Translit-Assamese2.
Formation of Assamese[পতিক]
Assamese and the cognate languages, Bengali and Oriya, developed from Magadhi Prakrit, the eastern branch of the Apabhramsa that followed Prakrit. Though the earliest compositions in Assamese exist from the 13th century, the earliest relics of the language can be found in paleographic records of the Kamarupa Kingdom from the 17th century to the 12th century. Assamese language features have been discovered in the 9th century Charyapada, which are Buddhist verses discovered in 1907 in Nepal, and which came from the end of the Apabhramsa period. Early compositions matured in the 14th century, during the reign of the Kamata king Durlabhnarayana of the Khen dynasty, when Madhav Kandali composed the Kotha Ramayana. Since the time of the Charyapada Assamese has been influenced by the languages belonging to the Sino-Tibetan and Austroasiatic families.
- Languages of India
- List of national languages of India
- List of Indian languages by total speakers
- A Dictionary in Assamese and English (1867) First Assamese dictionary by Miles Bronson from (books.google.com)
- Medhi, Kaliram (1988). Assamese Grammar and the Origin of Assamese Language. Guwahati: Publication Board, Assam.
- English-Assamese Online Dictionary
- The Creative Visionary: Jyoti Prasad Agarwalla (1903-1951)
- Assamese Language and Literature
- Assamese Language Sample
- Ethnologue report for Assamese
- Xophura - Collection of writings in Assamese
- Assamese - UCLA Phonetics Lab Data